These days, the easier I can make my life, the better ~ I love to make things homemade or have goodies around that I can use in more than one way. This jam is perfect! EatingBirdFood came up with a brilliant idea that just makes the most perfect sense! We know how Chia seeds thicken and also add fiber as well as some protein to our diets ~ YEAH! Homemade jams… here I come! 🙂
PB & J sandwiches, biscuits, waffles, ice cream, yogurt, ETC … oh the possibilities are endless!
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon water
- stevia, to taste (or other sweetener, like maple syrup)
- If using frozen strawberries, let them thaw. I try to limit my use of the microwave so I just sat mine in a bowl out on the counter for an hour or so.
- Mash strawberries with a fork or blend them. I mashed one batch and used my immersion blender for another – both methods worked great, but the blended version was more like jelly and less like jam.
- Mix in chia seeds, water and stevia, if using. I used 2-3 drops of liquid stevia, but I don’t think it would be necessary with super sweet berries. It just depends on how sweet you want your jam.
- Cover the mixture and place in the fridge to set up for a while, 30-60 minutes is ideal.